Reading and listening to wedding vows is touching. However, they can be daunting when it comes to writing your own. The pressure to capture the essence of your love story and concisely articulate commitments makes it even more difficult.
Overwhelming as it can be, it’s worth it in the end. It gives your guests a glimpse of your relationship and tells your partner your promises for the future. To help you get started, here are nine quotes to inspire you to write wedding vows that’ll wow your spouse and guests.
1. “So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s gonna be really hard. We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day.” — The Notebook
Love is not always rainbows and butterflies. There will be rough patches along the way, and it will take time, effort and passion to keep the fire burning. Add this quote to your vows to assure your future spouse you’ll embrace challenges as opportunities to deepen your love.
2. "The best thing to hold onto in life is each other." — Audrey Hepburn
This quote shows how you cherish the love of your life. Whatever the future holds for you and wherever you see yourself going, the support you find in your partner will always be the most valuable possession you’ll ever have.
3. “Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, it is not pompous, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered.” — 1 Corinthians 13:4-5
In this Bible verse, St. Paul shared the five essential characteristics of love people should emulate. It reminds you of the kind of love that puts others before yourself. Show your partner your commitment to giving the type of understanding that transcends difficulties and shortcomings.
4. “I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.” ― Elizabeth Barrett Browning
The best thing about love is how your other half makes you feel your best. It means you’re cherishing your future spouse for their qualities and their positive impact on you when you’re spending time together.
5. "I’d rather die tomorrow than live a hundred years without knowing you.” — Pocahontas
Marrying your biggest supporter is only the start of a beautiful adventure. This quote underscores the depth of your love and commitment — that you’ll choose a lifetime with them over an eternity without them by your side.
6. "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." — Dr. Seuss
One of the greatest feelings in the world is marrying the best partner you could ever dream of. Pledge a lifetime of love with this heartfelt quote.
7. "I look forward to a lifetime of joy, growth and constant mispronunciation of common words." — New Girl
On your wedding day, consider embracing your inner comedian. Inject humor to make your partner and guests laugh while remaining sweet. Here’s a cute way to express love to your spouse and their imperfections.
8. "It's like a long book that you never want to end. And you're fine with that because you just never ever want to leave it." — The Office
Marriage is a journey. There will be ups and downs, but when you’re hand in hand with your other half, you wouldn’t want it any other way. This quote by Pam Beesly is a perfect way to sum up your unconditional love for your partner.
9. "A life lived in love will never be dull." — Leo Buscaglia
Take a moment to promise them to infuse your marriage life with laughter and adventures. Pledge a love so patient that you’ll make the relationship work, even in the face of adversity.
Ready to Write Your Wedding Vows?
May these quotes inspire you as you pen your wedding vows. Remember to fill them with personal anecdotes alongside sayings. It’s a chance to tell your story and share commitments with your other half, so make it uniquely yours!