Artist Joni Prittie, has been designing for many years in both the USA and England. Her specialties are weddings, party accessories and home decor. In this how-to, Joni will show you how easy it is to create one of a kind, hand painted sola flowers in a few easy steps.
Use these hand painted flowers for wedding bouquets, wreaths and centerpieces. A single flower added to gift-wrap makes for a beautiful presentation.
Note from Joni: Metallic acrylic paints work well for hand painting sola flowers and adds a bit of sparkle. These flowers look amazing in candlelight as the texture of sola is very much like a fresh rose.
- Working with a single flower at a time, hold the flower upside down by the base area. Quickly dip the sola flower into the bowl of slightly warm water for approximately 3 seconds. Simply submerse the flower and count to three. The goal is to simply moisten the flower.
- Using a paper towel hold the moistened flower upside down and gently blot any excess water. Set flower aside upright on a paper towel while mixing your paint.
- Place a small amount (about the size of a quarter) of acrylic paint on your mixing plate. This is enough paint for three or four flowers.
- Using a paintbrush dipped in plain water, add water at a ratio of three parts water to one part paint. The goal is to create a “wash” of color. Add more water or slightly more paint to achieve the depth of color you wish.
- Holding the base of the flower and using a watercolor brush dipped in paint, simply touch the edge of each flower petal. The paint will feed color into the moistened petals. Continue painting each petal until the effect you desire is created. While a petal is still moist, additional color can be added.
- Set the painted sola flower on a paper towel that has been placed on a baking tray. Allow flower to dry completely. Drying time varies depending upon flower size. Allow a few hours before removing flower from tray. Store painted sola flowers in a warm, dry atmosphere.
- Use your flowers to decorate wreaths, gifts, or fashion lovely, personalized arrangements from to display in your home or at your special event!