DIY: Make Mitten & Snowmen Felt Tree Ornaments
Wintertime Felt Ornaments
design: Deborah Milne
9" x 12" sheet of Royal
9" x 12" sheet of White
Small scrap of Red
Small scrap of Orange
2 1/4" x 6 1/4" strip of
Pearl cotton thread*:
(798) Dark Delft Blue
(799) Medium Delft Blue
Needlepoint / Tapestry Needle*
Miscellaneous items: tracing paper, pencil, scissors, ruler, straight pins,
fabric glue, powder blush, cotton swab
CUT THE FELT
1. Transfer the patterns below and cut from the felt as indicated.
2. Cut a 1" x 12" strip from Denim Blue felt for the scarf.
SEW THE MITTEN
1. Embroider straight stitches to form a 3/4" x 1" snowflake in the
center of a mitten with White. Bring the needle up at the snowflake ends and
down at the center, working in numerical sequence (see Figure a).
2. Whipstitch the mittens together with Dark Delft Blue. Leave the straight edge
open and form a hanging loop in the top corner opposite the thumb.
3. Fold the 2 1/4" x 6 1/4" strip of White plush felt in half
widthwise, right sides together. Hand sew the short ends with White, using a
running stitch and 1/4" seam allowance.
4. Press the seam open with your fingers and trim any excess plush fibers.
5. Fold the edges of the cuff to meet at the center on the wrong side and glue.
Squeeze the glue between the layers, pinching the felt to adhere. Press the cuff
with your fingers to flatten and let the glue dry.
6. Turn the cuff right side out and place over the top of the mitten, letting it
extend 1/4" above the felt. Rotate the cuff until the seam is at the back.
7. Extend the hanging loop above the mitten and glue the cuff in place.
SEW THE SNOWMAN
1. Embroider the details on one felt snowman with Black as follows:
French knot: eyes, buttons
Straight stitch: V-shape mouth
2. Apply blush to the cheeks with a cotton
3. Whipstitch the snowmen together. Begin at the neck and stitch around the
bottom to the opposite edge. Stuff the body lightly with fiberfill and continue
stitching until only a small opening remains. Stuff the head lightly and stitch
4. Tie the scarf around the snowman's neck. Trim the scarf to the desired length
and cut 1/2" deep slits in the ends for fringe. Glue the scarf ends to the
5. Glue the earmuffs, nose, and heart to the snowman (see photo).
6. Stitch through the center of the top of the head with Medium Delft Blue and
knot the ends together to form a hanging loop.
CREATIVE OPTIONS Create a holiday garland
filled with mittens. Make multiples without the hanging loop and attach them
with small clothespins to jute. Decorate your gift packages all winter long with
these crafty add-ons. Fashion a wreath for your front door by attaching three or
four ornaments of each style and adding a bow. Slip money inside the mitten in
place of a purchased money holder and mail it to a long-distance friend.